How to Keep Spiders Out & How Their Presence Might Be a Sign from the Universe



How to Keep Spiders Out of Your Home and What They Might Be Trying to Tell You

This site contains affiliate links.

Let’s be honest, seeing a spider in your home can be a little unsettling. Whether it's hanging out in a dusty corner or making a surprise appearance in the shower, most of us would rather keep these eight-legged visitors outside where they belong.


Luckily, there are a few easy ways to make your home less inviting to spiders:


1. Peppermint Oil Spray

Spiders can't stand the smell of peppermint. It’s one of the most effective and popular natural spider repellents.


How to Use:

Mix 10–15 drops of peppermint essential oil with water in a spray bottle. Add a small squirt of dish soap to help the oil stick to surfaces. Shake well and spray around doors, windows, corners, baseboards—anywhere spiders might enter or hide.


Quick Links: 

Peppermint Oil

Amber Spray Bottles (Helps preserve the oils potency)

Mini Spray Bottles (keep for on the go/in the car)


2. Vinegar Spray

White vinegar has a strong scent that disrupts spiders’ sensitive senses and encourages them to find a new home.


How to Use:


Combine equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture in corners, crevices, windowsills, and along baseboards.


Quick Links:

White Distilled Vinegar

Amber Spray Bottles (Helps preserve the oils potency)

Mini Spray Bottles (keep for on the go/in the car)


3. Citrus Scents

Spiders dislike citrus just as much as peppermint. That fresh lemon or orange scent that we love? They want nothing to do with it.


How to Use:


Rub citrus peels (like lemon or orange) on windowsills, doorframes, and other entry points. You can also mix a few drops of citrus essential oil with water to make a spray.


Quick Links:

Citrus Essential Oil

Amber Spray Bottles (Helps preserve the oils potency)

Mini Spray Bottles (keep for on the go/in the car)


4. Cedarwood

Cedar naturally repels many types of pests, including spiders. Its strong, earthy scent is especially effective.


How to Use:


Place cedar blocks or chips in closets, under beds, or near doors. You can also use cedarwood essential oil in a spray or diffuser.


Quick Links:

Essential Oil Diffuser (The one I currently use)

Essential Oil Diffuser (Super fancy and aesthetic one)

Cedarwood Essential Oil

Amber Spray Bottles (Helps preserve the oils potency)

Mini Spray Bottles (Keep for on the go/in the car)

Cedar Chips


5. Diatomaceous Earth (DE)

This natural powder is made from crushed fossilized algae. It’s harmless to humans and pets but deadly to insects and spiders with exoskeletons.


How to Use:


Sprinkle food-grade diatomaceous earth in corners, under furniture, behind appliances, or anywhere spiders might sneak in. Just avoid breathing in the dust.


Quick Links:

Food-Grade Diatomaceous Earth


6. Clean and Declutter

This one might sound simple, but it works. Spiders love quiet, undisturbed spaces to spin their webs, especially in cluttered areas.


Quick Links:

Cute Bedroom Organizer 

Closet Organizer (A spiders fav hiding spot, so keep it clean!)

Clothes Hamper Organizer (Spiders love a good messy stack of clothes to hide in)


Tips:

Vacuum regularly, especially in corners and under furniture.

Declutter storage spaces like basements, attics, and closets.

Seal cracks, gaps, and any openings where spiders might enter.


But here’s the thing, sometimes, even with all the cleaning and peppermint spray in the world, spiders still show up. And over the years, I’ve come to see them not just as pests… but as messengers.


The Spiritual Side of Spiders


In many spiritual traditions, spiders are rich with symbolism. They’re often seen as weavers of fate, creators, and powerful reminders of feminine energy and transformation.


Different colors and types of spiders can carry slightly different meanings:


Black spiders often symbolize shadow work, fears, or hidden truths.


White or light-colored spiders can be a sign of clarity, spirit guidance, or new creative energy.


Red spiders might speak to root chakra themes—safety, survival, or foundational changes.



(We’ll dive deeper into spider colors and meanings in a future blog, so stay tuned for that!)


What Spiders Mean for Me Personally


For me, spiders have always shown up as spiritual signs, especially during emotional or creative turning points. When I see one, it’s often a quiet reminder:

You’re facing another layer. You’re not broken; you’re healing.


Sometimes, their appearance is connected to:


- Facing a fear, especially around self-expression or speaking my truth

- Old abandonment wounds resurfacing

- Difficult but necessary conversations

- Strained female relationships or sisterhood wounds

- Reclaiming my creative power


And honestly, there was a time I hated seeing spiders as signs. I'd think, “Ugh, not this again… I thought I healed this already.”

But now, it’s different.


Now, I see them as gentle confirmation. They show up when I’m being invited to feel something deeply, not to believe every painful thought, but to listen. They're a reminder that healing isn’t linear. It moves in spirals and layers, just like a web.

And the way the spider shows up, its color, its location, how I feel in that moment, all adds to the message. That’s why I’ve learned not to ignore them. Even when I’m spraying peppermint in the corners, I still pause and ask, “What are you here to show me?”


Final Thoughts

So yes, keep your home clean, use your essential oils, and do what you need to keep your space spider-free. But if one still finds its way in, maybe it’s more than just a pest. Maybe it’s a little reminder from the universe, saying:


“You’re doing the work. You’re not off track. You’re just moving through another layer.”

And that? That’s powerful.


In the Depths of Healing an Abandonment Wound?


Spiders usually come up for me when I am in the depths of facing an abandonment wound. They invite me to love myself a little more during these times as well as remind me that although I've been hurt and disappointed by those around me, I am still worthy and deserve to show up for myself. If this resonates with you, I invite you to read my other blog The Ultimate Curse Breaker. This post goes into depth on the number one tool that helped me and continues to help me heal myself: Shadow Work.



*Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.




For more simple, non-toxic living tips, you can find me on TikTok, Instagram and YouTube under holisticandwitchy.

Thanks for reading! I love sharing these tips with you, and I appreciate you being here. 

Check out my other blogs on natural DIYs for the body and home below!



Quick links to my personal faves and must haves for natural DIYs:

Baking soda:  used in natural laundry detergent, toothpastes and more

Washing Soda: used in making laundry detergent and cleaning pastes and more

Distilled White Vinegar:  used in cleaning, deodorizing and lifting stains and more

Castile soap: Versatile cleanser, can be used from hair shampoo to degreaser

Essential Oils: used in mostly all my natural DIY products for its scent and high-quality antimicrobial properties.

Amber bottles: protects natural ingredients from light, air, and heat which can break down their potency over time.

Roller and Spray Amber Bottles:  easy and convenient application

Amber Roller Bottles Multi-Pack: To make oil blends and other DIYs

Lost Book Of Herbal Remedies: In-depth Information on herbal Medicines

The Beginners Guide to Essential Oils:  Informative guide to all things essential oils 

Blackthorns Botanical Magic: Spellwork using essential oils, super informative 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Goo Gone Recipe (Only 2 Ingredients)

Natural Homemade Toothpaste

DIY Natural Toilet Bowl Cleaner