The Unexpected Leave-In Conditioner I Can't Live Without








The Only Leave-In Conditioner I Use:

Pure Aloe Vera Gel



I’ve been using pure aloe vera gel as a leave-in conditioner, and honestly, it’s one of the best things I’ve done for my hair.


After I shower, I gently squeeze the water out of my hair using a cotton t-shirt (way better than a towel, less frizz). Then, I take about a quarter-size amount of KinRose Pure Aloe Vera Gel (make sure any aloe vera gel you use on your hair is alcohol-free), and scrunch it into my hair, focusing on the middle and ends, the driest parts. I avoid my scalp for now because it’s a little tricky: mine’s dry and oily at the same time, plus I struggle with dandruff (more on that below).


This simple routine has made my curls look hydrated, more defined, and naturally styled, without needing much else. My hair dries with enough bounce that I can just leave it like that for the day. If I use more than a quarter-size amount, it can start to look like I scrunched it with mousse, which isn’t a bad thing if you’re going for that “wet curl” or defined hold look.


To finish, I air-dry my hair in the sun whenever possible. I’ve noticed this helps my curls dry fuller and bouncier. I also stopped washing my hair at night, because letting it dry before bed tends to make it flat the next morning.




 Why Aloe Vera Works So Well



Aloe vera gel is packed with benefits for your hair, and it’s not just hype. Here’s why it works:


Key Nutrients in Aloe:


Vitamins A, C, E – promote shine and strengthen hair


Vitamin B12 & Folate – support healthy roots and growth


Proteolytic enzymes – help repair dead skin cells and soothe the scalp


Amino acids – build healthy hair structure


Water content – major hydration boost without heaviness



It’s lightweight, non-greasy, and helps seal in moisture, which makes it perfect as a natural leave-in conditioner, especially for people with waves, curls, or dry ends.




 Can It Be Used for Natural Hair?


Yes! Aloe vera is a favorite in many natural hair communities, especially for:


Adding moisture to thick, coily textures


Defining curls when scrunched or raked through damp hair


Refreshing curls mid-week (more on that below)


Helping with scalp care between protective styles



I don’t personally have natural locks, so I want to be clear: I’m sharing this based on what I’ve found in research and what’s been praised by others with natural hair. Always do what feels best for your unique texture and porosity.




 Extra Ways to Use Aloe Vera for Hair



Once I realized how well it worked on my ends, I started looking into all the ways people use it, especially for the scalp. Here are a few gems I found:




1. Soothing Scalp Leave-In (Light Use)


Apply a small amount of aloe vera gel to the scalp after washing, especially if you experience itchiness, dryness, or tension.

 Pro tip: Mix a drop of jojoba or tea tree oil in for extra benefits.


Quick Links:


Jojoba Oil


Tea Tree Oil (high quality)


KinRose Aloe Vera Gel (alcohol-free)




2. DIY Scalp Spray


1 part aloe vera gel


2 parts water


Optional: a few drops of tea tree, rosemary, or peppermint oil

Add to a spray bottle and use between washes to refresh the scalp, hydrate, and lightly clean.


Quick Links to High Quality Oils:


Tea Tree Oil


Rosemary Oil


Peppermint Oil



3. Dandruff & Dry Scalp Treatment


Aloe’s antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties help calm dandruff and flaking. Try this once a week:


2 tbsp aloe vera gel


2-3 drops tea tree oil


Massage into the scalp, leave for 30 minutes, then rinse.





4. Clarifying Aloe Rinse (Build-up Buster)


Mix aloe with a bit of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice to gently remove buildup.


2 tbsp aloe vera gel


1 tbsp ACV or juice of half a lemon


Apply to scalp before washing, let sit for 10–15 min.




5. Pre-Shampoo Treatment


Apply aloe to your scalp and ends before shampooing to protect moisture, especially if you’re using a clarifying or sulfate-based shampoo.




 A Few Things to Know:


Don’t overuse it: Too much aloe can leave hair slightly stiff or flaky, especially if you’re using it pure without mixing it with anything.


Make sure it’s alcohol-free: Some store gels add drying ingredients like alcohol or synthetic fragrance. Look for “99% pure” or cold-pressed aloe.


Rinse or clarify occasionally: If you use aloe daily or as a leave-in, you might want to clarify your scalp every couple weeks to avoid buildup.




 Final Thoughts


Sometimes the best products are the simplest ones. I didn’t expect much when I tried aloe vera as a leave-in, but now it’s the only one I use. It’s affordable, natural, and actually works, without layering a bunch of other products on top.


If you’ve been struggling with dry ends, frizz, or undefined curls, or just want to simplify your routine, give it a try. And if your scalp needs some love too, aloe might just be the thing that brings it back into balance.

 

Other Natural Beauty DIY's & Hacks:


DIY Dry Shampoo

DIY Whitening Toothpaste

DIY Anti-Aging Roller Ball 

Remedies For Hyperpigmentation

Natural Make-Up Remover

Hair Loss Remedy

Natural Deodorant (One Ingredient)



Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.



Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor or healthcare professional- just sharing what works for me! Always do a patch test and consult with your healthcare provider if you have any concerns or medical conditions before using homemade remedies.



For more simple, non-toxic living tips, you can find me on TikTok, Instagram and YouTube under holisticandwitchy.

Thanks for reading! I love sharing these tips with you, and I appreciate you being here. 

Check out my other blogs on natural DIYs for the body and home below!



Quick links to my personal faves and must haves for natural DIYs:

Baking soda:  used in natural laundry detergent, toothpastes and more

Washing Soda: used in making laundry detergent and cleaning pastes and more

Distilled White Vinegar:  used in cleaning, deodorizing and lifting stains and more

Castile soap: Versatile cleanser, can be used from hair shampoo to degreaser

Essential Oils: used in mostly all my natural DIY products for its scent and high-quality antimicrobial properties.

Amber bottles: protects natural ingredients from light, air, and heat which can break down their potency over time.

Roller and Spray Amber Bottles:  easy and convenient application

Amber Roller Bottles Multi-Pack: To make oil blends and other DIYs

Lost Book Of Herbal Remedies: In-depth Information on herbal Medicines

The Beginners Guide to Essential Oils:  Informative guide to all things essential oils 

Blackthorns Botanical Magic: Spellwork using essential oils, super informative 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Goo Gone Recipe (Only 2 Ingredients)

Natural Homemade Toothpaste

DIY Natural Toilet Bowl Cleaner